[one-users] Users can't create VMs with large capacity (in the cloud view)

Carlos Martín Sánchez cmartin at opennebula.org
Fri Oct 24 09:21:43 PDT 2014

Hi Pavel,

On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 3:49 PM, Pavel Tankov <
pavel.tankov at strategyobject.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> CentOS6.5 -> KVM -> Opennebula 4.8
>
> My users log in to the cloud view. I have prepared templates for them.
> They can instantiate VMs with the default capacity, but if they decide to
> choose anything other than the default, e.g. Change Capacity --> small-x2
> or medium-x2 or whatever, the VM never boots up, it stays in "PENDING" and
> there are no logs.
>
> What could be the problem? Is it some quota that exists by default for
> regular users? I have not set up restrictions deliberately.
>
> Thanks,
> Pavel Tankov

The problem is not the quota, because in that case the users would not be
able to even create the VM.

When a VM stays in pending, it's because the scheduler can't find where to
deploy it. Admins and advanced users can see the scheduler error messages
in sunstone, under the placement VM tab. This information is not available
to cloud users, since they are not supposed to know about the underlying
infrastructure.

You will find more detailed information in /var/log/one/sched.log. If the
reason is not clear in there, paste the output and we'll try to
help deciphering it.

Regards.
--
Carlos Martín, MSc