[one-users] "force" deploy of VM

Carlos Martín Sánchez cmartin at opennebula.org
Wed Mar 19 03:58:48 PDT 2014

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 10:18 AM, Mario Benincasa <mbeninca at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I have a simple question (well I believe it is simple :-) )
> I searched through documentation and mailing list archive, but I wasn't
> able to find anything.
> Apologies if the question has already been answered somewhere.
>
> After template instantiation, the VM is placed in pending state until the
> scheduler decides to run it.
> If there are not enough resources, it will remain in pending state.
> "onevm deploy" will anyway run it, even in case of not enough resources.
>
> My question is: is it possible to automatically have the deploy of the VM,
> even if the scheduler would leave it in pending state?
>
> I need this for the fault tolerance script: I have two nodes, each running
> a certain number of VMs. In case a node crashes, I want the VMs to be
> deployed in the surviving node, even if the scheduler disagrees.
> Currently, the VMs are left in pending state, thus they are not recovering
> the service. Of course a manual "onevm deploy" would recover, but I would
> like to have it automatically :-)
> The impacted resource appears to be the RAM: the sum of the VMs' RAM
> allocation exceeds the physical RAM, but in real operating conditions the
> RAM usage is quite under the allocated RAM, and thus I expect no problem in
> such an over provisioning.
>
> Thanks for any hint.
>
>    Mario

We don't have any way to tell the scheduler to ignore the VM requirements,
and I think it would be a problematic feature. Memory overcommitment (up to
a certain amount) may not have a noticeable impact, but a full disk will
certainly do.

I think your best option is to have the fault tolerance script do the
forced deploy.

Regards
--
Carlos Martín, MSc