[one-users] "force" deploy of VM

Mario Benincasa mbeninca at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 02:18:20 PDT 2014

Hi all

I have a simple question (well I believe it is simple :-) )
I searched through documentation and mailing list archive, but I wasn't
able to find anything.
Apologies if the question has already been answered somewhere.

After template instantiation, the VM is placed in pending state until the
scheduler decides to run it.
If there are not enough resources, it will remain in pending state.
"onevm deploy" will anyway run it, even in case of not enough resources.

My question is: is it possible to automatically have the deploy of the VM,
even if the scheduler would leave it in pending state?

I need this for the fault tolerance script: I have two nodes, each running
a certain number of VMs. In case a node crashes, I want the VMs to be
deployed in the surviving node, even if the scheduler disagrees.
Currently, the VMs are left in pending state, thus they are not recovering
the service. Of course a manual "onevm deploy" would recover, but I would
like to have it automatically :-)
The impacted resource appears to be the RAM: the sum of the VMs' RAM
allocation exceeds the physical RAM, but in real operating conditions the
RAM usage is quite under the allocated RAM, and thus I expect no problem in
such an over provisioning.

Thanks for any hint.

   Mario