[one-users] Recommended NFS options for datastores

ML mail mlnospam at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 27 10:43:53 PDT 2014

Hello,

I have my ONE datastores located on an HP server + external SAS JBOD running Debian squeeze and NFS for sharing the datastores. Currently on my ONE frontend and hosts I mount the datastores as such (fstab):

IP:/nfs/one/datastores/0  /var/lib/one/datastores/0  nfs   soft,intr,rsize=8192,wsize=8192
IP:/nfs/one/datastores/1  /var/lib/one/datastores/1  nfs   soft,intr,rsize=8192,wsize=8192
IP:/nfs/one/datastores/100  /var/lib/one/datastores/100  nfs   soft,intr,rsize=8192,wsize=8192

If I remember correctly the NFS options I use here come from the ONE documentation but I wanted to know are these NFS options I use here (soft,intr, etc) the recommended ones?

I am asking because this morning the server rebooted for no reasons and while some of the VMs where fine (just got some timeout error message) others had remounted their root filesystem in read-only mode which required a reboot of the VM. Some of them did not make it and required an fsck before being able to reboot correctly.

I guess this is pretty normal and can not really be avoided as the NFS server crashed but what I really would like to know is if there are any NFS options which would be the most "secure" in case of NFS server crash. I am think here especially at the hard,intr NFS options, maybe these would be more appropriate? What do you think?

Regards
ML