[one-users] Need https for Opennebula URL in browser

Valentin Bud valentin.bud at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 03:12:44 PDT 2014

Hi Sudeep,

You can also ask enterprise support from C12G Labs [1]. They can help
you for sure, they build OpenNebula.

As for your problem, I would ditch Apache and use nginx. I will post a step
by step untested tutorial below.

First, install nginx on the machine OpenNebula is installed on. I assume you
are on a Debian based OS. If on CentOS switch apt-get with yum.

$ sudo su -
# apt-get install nginx

Configure the default vhost to proxy requests to Sunstone upstream. The
following is what I use in production and it works.

/etc/nginx/sites-enabled/default

### sunstone vhost

### sunstone upstream server
upstream sunstone {
    server                  127.0.0.1:9869;
}

### sunstone HTTP server
server {
    listen                  80 default_server;
    server_name             localhost;

    ### Set up the access and error logs
    access_log              /var/log/nginx/access.log;
    error_log               /var/log/nginx/error.log;

    ### Append / if missing and redirect to HTTPS
    rewrite         ^([^.]*[^/])$ https://$server_name/     permanent;
    return          301     https://$server_name$request_uri;
}

### HTTPS Server
#
# sunstone HTTPS server
#
server {
    listen        443;
    server_name   localhost;

    keepalive_timeout     70;

    ### Logging
    access_log    /var/log/nginx/access.log;
    error_log     /var/log/nginx/error.log debug;

    ### SSL
    ssl                   on;
    ssl_certificate       /etc/ssl/certs/sunstone.pem;
    ssl_certificate_key   /etc/ssl/private/sunstone.key;

    ssl_session_cache     shared:SSL:10m;
    ssl_session_timeout   480m;

    ### Intercept errors
    proxy_intercept_errors on;

    ### Custom error pages
    error_page 404 /errors/404.html;
    error_page 401 /errors/401.html;
    error_page 400 402 403 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 417
417 /errors/4xx.html;
    error_page 500 501 502 503 504 505 /errors/5xx.html;

    ### Root location
    #
    # Proxy requests to upstream
    #
    location / {
            proxy_pass              http://sunstone;
            proxy_set_header        Host              $host;
            proxy_set_header        X-Real-IP         $remote_addr;
            proxy_set_header        X-Forwarded-For
$proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;
    }

    ### Public Data
    #
    # Get the files from HDD not via Sunstone
    #
    location ~ ^/(css/|images/|js/|locale/|vendor/) {
            root /usr/lib/one/sunstone/public;
            expires 1w;
    }

    ### Error pages
    location /errors/ {
            alias /var/www/errors/;
            internal;
    }
}

Generate the SSL certificate. This is a self signed certificate, if you go
production I
recommend you built your own CA or buy a trusted certificate, Globe SSL is
cheap
in this area. This way you can secure your VNC also without any complaints
from
the browser.

# openssl req -x509 -newkey rsa:2048 -keyout /etc/ssl/private/sunstone.pem
-nodes -out /etc/ssl/certs/sunstone.pem -days 3650

Restart nginx and access http://ip.add.re.ss of OpenNebula machine. It
might help
you but please don't blindly copy paste, do some reading, you'll learn cool
things :).

[1]: http://c12g.com/

Best,
Valentin