[one-users] balancing VM placement

Mark Devlin mdevlin at intelius.com
Thu Jul 31 10:47:16 PDT 2014

Greetings,

Is there a way, using 4.4 or newer, for the scheduler to place VMs based on their names?  Basically I want to spread a type of VM across as many hosts as possible, as long as the hosts have available resources for it.

For example, if I have four hosts that have VMs and one that's empty, I don't want the five (web1-web5) VMs I'm about about to instantiate to all end up on that empty host.  I want one on each host.  However, if I start three more (web6-web8), it should place based on available resources.

Hopefully that makes sense.  Thank you

-Mark