[one-users] Closing OpenNebula 4.4 Cycle, Planning for 4.6

Stefan Kooman stefan at bit.nl
Tue Jan 14 08:47:15 PST 2014

Quoting Ricardo Duarte (rjtd21 at hotmail.com):
> Hi there, One feature I would like to see would be a "recycle
> bin".Instead of deleting instances and their disks immediately after
> they terminate you could delay the actual operation to a different
> time, and allow the user to recover the instance.  Another feature
> would be what I call "instantiate to persistent".User would create a
> template based on a pre-existing image, with "persistent=yes".
> Opennebula would automatically clone the image disk and create the
> instance from it. I know currently it is possible to do it manually,
> by first cloning the image and then create a new template with that
> image, but that is not user friendly enough for me.  Regards,Ricardo
> Duarte

Just like you described in: http://dev.opennebula.org/issues/2048.

I understand your use case. A collegue of mine exptected to be able to
do just this and was surprised he couldn't. The most important thing
here is that to be able to clone the image it has to be
"non-persistent",  and if the cloned image should be persistent, you
should _not_ forget to change the cloned image to be
persistent. Having a (known working) template (persistent=yes) will
prevent data loss sooner or later. Yes, I know you can make a
(defered/hot) snapshot but if you forget to do this before the vm is
shutdown you lose your data.

+1 vote for this feature.

Gr. Stefan