[one-users] Closing OpenNebula 4.4 Cycle, Planning for 4.6

Nikita Balashov balashov.nikita at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 23:09:22 PST 2014

 Hi all,

Feature #1727 "Patch for one.image.resize to resize image"  is also useful
for OpenVZ images as it also allows to specify image size on deploy.

Regards,
Nikita

On 01/09/2014 11:45 PM, Tobias Brunner wrote:

Hi all,

Thanks a lot for letting the community participate on the roadmap planning!

For me there are two features important, which are already described on the
development portal:

#2568 "Support for RBD Format 2 images"
---------------------------------------
I have already tested the attached patch on version 4.4 and it just works
great. VM provisioning using this method is A LOT faster than with "Format
1" images, like lightning speed.

#1727 "Patch for one.image.resize to resize image"
I'd like to specify the target image size in the template.
The Ubuntu Cloud Images are able to resize themself during the first boot
(see http://packages.ubuntu.com/saucy/cloud-initramfs-growroot, installed
by default on the cloud images). So you just need the original image (which
is 2GB) and specify the size you need in the template. This is mainly very
useful for the public cloud interface where you could provide some
templates to the users which specifies not only the ram size and cpu count,
but also the image size. So you don't have to prepare an image for every
size you'd like to provide.

Other ideas and votes
---------------------
To extend the public cloud capabilities, a customer management and billing
interface (think of "oneacct" extended to the webinterface) would be a nice
feature I'd like to see in the future.
Better handling of VMs which are stopped by the user from inside the VM
(f.e. "shutdown -h now") would make admins life easier.
I also vote for the following Redmine tickets assigned to "Release 4.6"
target version:
* #2453 "Add hostname configuration to contexualization"
* #1818 "Support for IP reservations"

Looking forward to comments on my ideas.

Cheers,
Tobias