[one-users] Closing OpenNebula 4.4 Cycle, Planning for 4.6

Kenneth kenneth at apolloglobal.net
Thu Jan 9 21:02:06 PST 2014

I agree with RBD format 2.

And thanks a lot to the OpenNebula team
for bringing the cloud infrastructure closer to end system
administrators.

I would specifically like to request to have the
option of over-committing memory (ram) to VMs just like how you can set
over commit in CPU.

---

Thanks,
Kenneth
Apollo Global Corp.

On
01/10/2014 03:45 AM, Tobias Brunner wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Thanks a lot
for letting the community participate on the roadmap
> planning!

For me there are two features important, which are already described on

> the development portal:
>
> #2568 "Support for RBD Format 2
images"
> ---------------------------------------
> I have already
tested the attached patch on version 4.4 and it just
> works great. VM
provisioning using this method is A LOT faster than with
> "Format 1"
images, like lightning speed.

> #1727 "Patch for one.image.resize to
resize image"
> I'd
like to specify the target image size in the template.
> The Ubuntu
Cloud Images are able to resize themself during the first
> boot (see
http://packages.ubuntu.com/saucy/cloud-initramfs-growroot [4],

installed by default on the cloud images). So you just need the original

> image (which is 2GB) and specify the size you need in the template.
This
> is mainly very useful for the public cloud interface where you
could
> provide some templates to the users which specifies not only
the ram
> size and cpu count, but also the image size. So you don't
have to
> prepare an image for every size you'd like to provide.

Other ideas and votes
> ---------------------
> To extend the public
cloud capabilities, a customer management and
> billing interface
(think of "oneacct" extended to the webinterface)
> would be a nice
feature I'd like to see in the future.
> Better handling of VMs which
are stopped by the user from inside the VM
> (f.e. "shutdown -h now")
would make admins life easier.
> I also vote for the following Redmine
tickets assigned to "Release 4.6"
> target version:
> * #2453 "Add
hostname configuration to contexualization"
> * #1818 "Support for IP
reservations"

> Looking forward to comments on my ideas.

Cheers,
> Tobias
>
> On 09.01.2014 17:44, Tino Vazquez wrote:

Dear users, Having released OpenNebula 4.4 Retina and closed its release
cycle, it is time to open a new one for the next release. We have
identified the issues [1] (bugs + features) we deem important for the
release, and we have including in that list the features that didn't
make it in OpenNebula 4.4 in the end. As discussed with the OpenNebula
Conf attendees (see? you need to come next year ;) ), we want to give
our users the chance to shape the roadmap for the upcoming OpenNebula
4.6. We invite you to submit your comments on the roadmap via email
(ideally within this thread, but feel free to open a new one if you
think it is necessary to discuss any particular topic). This valuable
input will be used to shape the short-term roadmap with the features
that will be part of the release cycle. The ideal process of the
discussion would be for any person interested in discussing a feature
request to search first if there is already a similar one in the
OpenNebula development portal [2]. If no similar request is found,
please open one describing as best as you can what feature you have in
mind, and let us know in this mailing list so we know there is interest
and we need to shape the roadmap to accommodate it. If you find a
similar request, read through the proposed approach and let us know if
you agree on it. If not, please put a comment in the feature request
explaining your concern, and let us know as well here. We plan to close
this discussion next Thursday, 16th, EOB. It goes without saying that
the more interest we see on a feature, more priority it will have in the
short-term roadmap. Tino, on behalf of the OpenNebula Team [1]
http://dev.opennebula.org/projects/opennebula/issues?query_id=45 [1] [2]
http://dev.opennebula.org/ [2] [3]
http://opennebula.org/community/contribute/ [3]

Users at lists.opennebula.org