[one-users] Sunstone endpoint for VDC

Tino Vazquez cvazquez at c12g.com
Tue Sep 17 07:03:23 PDT 2013

Hi Stefan,

comments inline,

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 2:51 PM, Stefan Kooman <stefan at bit.nl> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I'm in the process of testing the OpenNebula oZones / VDC functionality.
> My setup is as follows:
>
> - 2 hosts, with 1 one of them in a cluster "TESTCLUST01", 1 in default
> cluster.
> - a zone "TESTZONE01" using resources from "TESTCLUST01"
> - a VDC "TESTVDC01" within zone "TESTZONE01".
>
> I have several apache vhosts (listening on *:443) acting as reverse (SSL) proxy:
>
> - ozones (reverse proxying to http://127.0.0.1:6121)
> - sunstone (reverse proxying to http://172.16.0.183:9869
> - occi (reverse proxying to http://127.0.0.1:4567)
>
> These end points all work correctly (occi API works, sunstone works,
> ozones web GUI works).
>
> Creating the zone, cluster and vdc goes fine. However, the Sunstone
> Endpoint for the VDC "TESTVDC01" is not working. If I understand the
> documentation correctly [1] I should point my browser to  the sunstone
> endpoint. In my case http(s)://sunstone.domain.tld/sunstone_TESTVDC01/
> The response I get is:
>
> "Sinatra doesn’t know this ditty.
> Try this:
>
> get '/sunstone_TESTVDC01/' do
>   "Hello World"
>  end
>
> VDC cli interface does work (export
> ONE_XMLRPC="http://localhost:2633/RPC2" and export
> ONE_AUTH=~/.one/one_vdc).

In this case you are not using the oZones reverse proxy functionality,
but rather accessing OpenNebula directly. You should use an endpoint
of the form

ONE_XMLRPC="http://ozones-server/TESTVDC01"

> sunstone.log:
> "GET /sunstone_TESTVDC01/ HTTP/1.1" 404 456 0.0024
> ozones-server.log
> "GET /zone/user?timeout=true HTTP/1.1" 200 19672 0.0189
>
> I haven't setup the Apache server like [2] but made per vhost reverse
> proxies. What port and URI should be hit by the proxy on the backend site when
> hitting "http://ozones.server/sunstone_MyVDC/"  on the frontend?

I don't think your use case is supported. You see, the ozones server
talks with the apache server via a .htaccess file, where it is
dynamically setting reverse proxy rules for each created VDC. So,
after creating TESTVDC01, a couple of lines are written in the
.htaccess file so apache knows that when a request comes for

http://ozones-server/sunstone_TESTVDC01

it should redirect to

http://sunstone-server:9869

where sunstone-server is the Sunstone endpoint defined by the zone
that contains TESTVDC01. 9869 is the default Sunstone port, which can
be changed as well upon VDC creation.

Best,

-Tino