[one-users] HA ONED / SUNSTONE considerations

Ruben S. Montero rsmontero at opennebula.org
Tue Oct 15 14:24:45 PDT 2013

Hi

Just in case you missed it, there is a HA guide, describing a setup similar
to the one described in your email:

http://opennebula.org/documentation:rel4.2:oneha

I'd say that the most difficult part is providing a proper fencing
mechanism for the hosts running the oned/sunstone VMs, and not only for the
VMs itself.

Cheers

Ruben

On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 12:59 PM, Stefan Kooman <stefan at bit.nl> wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I'm planning for a HA ONED setup, i.e. HA "Frontend"
> (oned/mm_sched/onecctd), sunstone (Load-Balanced) and hosts. Initially I
> was planning to
> use hardware for the different components, something along the lines of:
>
>   sunstone                         sunstone
>      |                                |
>      |-------------  LB  --------------
>      |                                |
>      |                                |
>      |                                |
>      |                                |
>     oned                            oned
>      |                                |
>      |-------------  HA  --------------
>      |     (pacemaker / corosync)     |
>      |                                |
>      |                                |
> host1 ------ host2 ------- host3 ------- host4
>
> With hosts, oned en sunstone each on seperate dedicated physical boxes.
> That's
> quite a bit of hardware doing mostly "nothing". Especially if you setup
> several independant clouds like this. Instead of using dedicated
> physical hardware, a setup consisting of VM's running on top of (two of)
> the hosts
> might be a more efficient possibility. Do you have any experience with
> such a
> setup? Do you see any big drawbacks in using VM's instead of hardware?
> Do you want to share your HA setup design considerations with me?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gr. Stefan
>
> --
> | BIT BV  http://www.bit.nl/        Kamer van Koophandel 09090351