[one-users] Some questions about over overcommitment in OpenNebula 4.2 using KVM

Gerry O'Brien gerry at scss.tcd.ie
Fri Oct 11 07:20:40 PDT 2013

Hi,

     Is overcommitment in OpenNebula 4.2 using KVM possible? If so, how
is it done?

     Am I correct in believing that by default cgroups are not enabled
and that the only use of the CPU parameter is to guide the scheduler? If
cgroups are not enabled and the CPU paramter is set very low, say 0.1,
for a VM then can the cpu share actually used by the VM can be much
larger than 0.1?

     What is the correct interpretation of the "used CPU" value on the
Sunstone Virtual Machines view?

     Can balloon drivers be used with KVM in OpenNebula? If so, is there
any way around the fact that the MEMORY parameter seems to stop the
allocation of VMs to a host once the total sum of all MEMORY parameters
exceeds the physical memory available on the host?

     Is there any good reason why the scheduler only uses 90% of
available memory by default?

     I've tried searching the documentation and threads but cannot find
any answers to these questions so any help would be much appreciated.

         Regards,
             Gerry

--
Gerry O'Brien

Systems Manager
School of Computer Science and Statistics
Trinity College Dublin
Dublin 2
IRELAND

00 353 1 896 1341