[one-users] Chef cookbook for OpenNebula (to be used with Vagrant)

Ruben S. Montero rsmontero at opennebula.org
Fri Mar 22 04:14:50 PDT 2013

Hi Giovanni

Sometime ago, I've took a look to Vagrant source code to implement an
OpenNebula driver. The idea was to provision Vagrant VM's using OpenNebula.
At that time, the support for external drivers was not really in place, and
I did not have the opportunity to explore it further since then.

So, given your experience with OpenNebula and  Vagrant, do you think this
integration is doable (I am concern about that shared folder thing)? and
second do you think that adding OpenNebula as a backend for Vagrant is
interesting?

Cheers

Ruben

On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 8:37 PM, Giovanni Toraldo <me at gionn.net> wrote:

> Hi Javier,
>
> On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 3:26 PM, Javier Fontan <jfontan at opennebula.org>
> wrote:
> > Any reason why this is installed using source code and not using
> > packages? And other question I have after browsing the files, how does
> > it download the code? I could not figure out how the source code
> > reaches the vagrant machine.
>
> this is how Vagrant actually works: it launches a virtual machine and
> expose the current working directory into the virtual machine using a
> shared folder (
> http://docs.vagrantup.com/v2/getting-started/synced_folders.html).
>
> It's nice to have OpenNebula running inside a VM with all dependencies
> automatically installed in a few minutes, and you can easily modify
> OpenNebula source code from your IDE running on your host machine.
>
> I hope to be able to expand the chef recipes to cover also the
> OpenNebula installation via binary packages and to automate the
> opennebula configuration.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Giovanni Toraldo