[one-users] datablock - poor performance

Ruben S. Montero rsmontero at opennebula.org
Fri Jun 21 15:26:02 PDT 2013

Hi

Try adding CACHE='none' in each DISK in the **VM template** to increase the
performance. Usually qcow2 perform worse than raw format, because of the
additional formatting needed.

If you want to test qcow2 you need to set DRIVER="qcow2" to the DISK
attribute or image template. Additionally if the TM_MAD attribute of the
datastore is set to qcow2 (e.g. onedatastore update), some operations take
advantage of the qcow format, mainly snapshot to clone a disk.

Cheers

Ruben

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 11:41 PM, Andrei Vakhnin
<andrey.a.vakhnin at nasa.gov>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am wondering if qcow2 datablock gives a better performance over raw
> format. Do I have to use separate datastore to be able to use qcow2 images?
>  I am getting performance hit (only 12MB/s) when using 50GB non-persistent
> raw datablock formatted as ext3. Thanks
>
> 200000+0 records in
> 200000+0 records out
> 1638400000 bytes (1.6 GB) copied, 157.853 s, 10.4 MB/s
>
> real    2m40.021s
> user    0m0.042s
> sys     0m3.839s
>
> oneadmin at xxx:~> oneimage show 38
> IMAGE 38 INFORMATION
> ID             : 38
> NAME           : data_loc
> USER           : oneadmin
> GROUP          : oneadmin
> DATASTORE      : default
> TYPE           : DATABLOCK
> REGISTER TIME  : 12/05 15:34:46
> PERSISTENT     : No
> SOURCE         : /var/lib/one/datastores/1/bee8c51f03a40657a114ee3cf505d2a1
> FSTYPE         : ext3
> SIZE           : 48.8G
> STATE          : used
> RUNNING_VMS    : 2
>
> PERMISSIONS
> OWNER          : um-
> GROUP          : ---
> OTHER          : ---
>
> IMAGE TEMPLATE
> DESCRIPTION="/data_loc"
> DEV_PREFIX="sd"
> DRIVER="raw"
> TARGET="sdc"
>
> Here is a template:
>
> DISK=[
>   BUS="virtio",
>   DRIVER="raw",
>   IMAGE_ID="52",
>   READONLY="no",
>   TARGET="sdb" ]yes

Join us at OpenNebulaConf2013 in Berlin, 24-26 September, 2013
--
Ruben S. Montero, PhD
Project co-Lead and Chief Architect