[one-users] OpenNebula multi-site --- question

Giovanni Ponti giovanni.ponti at enea.it
Thu Jan 17 09:23:25 PST 2013

Il 17/01/2013 17:15, Ignacio M. Llorente ha scritto:
> Dear Giovanni,
>
> This is a very good question, which answer depends on the type and level
> of collaboration that you expect across the different sites. I envision
> three different architectures:
>
> - Loosely Coupled Federation: Each site has its own OpenNebula instance
> managed by its Admin team that exposes cloud APIs (OCCI/EC2) and GUIs.
> In this scenario you could share a single authentication mechanism so a
> user can have access to any of the clouds, or you could define a user
> space for each site. You could also install your own appliance
> marketplace to allow users to easily share appliances across sites.
>
> - Tightly Coupled Federation: Each site has its own OpenNebula instance,
> all of them are managed by the same Admin team, and you use the oZones
> component for federation. In this case you will provide your users with
> a single access point for all the zones and can allocate resources
> through Virtual Data Centers to different Departments/Projects, etc.
>
> - Hybrid Cloud Federation: Each site has its own OpenNebula instance
> managed by its Admin team that exposes cloud APIs (OCCI/EC2) and GUIs. A
> user can only access its primary site, and the access to remote clouds
> is performed by the cloudbursting functionality of OpenNebula which is
> managed by the administrator of the site, and in principle fully
> transparent to the user. This would require the adaptation of the cloud
> connector to support remote OpenNebula instances.
>
> I hope this helps,
>
> Thanks!

Thanks for your reply! Many aspects are clear now.

Nevertheless, I've a futher question regardering the vm
migration/live-migration mechanism in a Tightly Coupled Federation, that
seems to be the most suitable for our purposes.
In particular, what happens to the VMs deployed on physical nodes in a
oZones if such resources go down? Is the system able to migrate VMs to
another oZone that shares the same repository area?

Thanks again,
Giovanni

--
Ing. Giovanni Ponti, PhD