[one-users] OpenNebula multi-site --- question

Ignacio M. Llorente imllorente at opennebula.org
Thu Jan 17 08:15:23 PST 2013

Dear Giovanni,

This is a very good question, which answer depends on the type and level of
collaboration that you expect across the different sites. I envision three
different architectures:

- Loosely Coupled Federation: Each site has its own OpenNebula instance
managed by its Admin team that exposes cloud APIs (OCCI/EC2) and GUIs. In
this scenario you could share a single authentication mechanism so a user
can have access to any of the clouds, or you could define a user space for
each site. You could also install your own appliance marketplace to allow
users to easily share appliances across sites.

- Tightly Coupled Federation: Each site has its own OpenNebula instance,
all of them are managed by the same Admin team, and you use the oZones
component for federation. In this case you will provide your users with a
single access point for all the zones and can allocate resources through
Virtual Data Centers to different Departments/Projects, etc.

- Hybrid Cloud Federation: Each site has its own OpenNebula instance
managed by its Admin team that exposes cloud APIs (OCCI/EC2) and GUIs. A
user can only access its primary site, and the access to remote clouds is
performed by the cloudbursting functionality of OpenNebula which is managed
by the administrator of the site, and in principle fully transparent to the
user. This would require the adaptation of the cloud connector to support
remote OpenNebula instances.

I hope this helps,

Thanks!

On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 12:00 PM, Giovanni Ponti <giovanni.ponti at enea.it>wrote:

> I'm Giovanni Ponti, an ENEA researcher based in Portici Research Center.
> One of my research interest is Cloud Computing, and I'm following and
> organizing cloud experiences in ENEA-GRID.
>
> We are planning to have a multi-site cloud envorinment among ENEA
> computational centers (that are six). At the moment, we have installed
> OpenNebula only in one site (i.e., Portici one), and we are evaluating a
> further installation on another ENEA site.
>
> My question regards the ways in which two (or more) OpenNebula
> installation may communicate and/or interact to export a whole integrated
> cloud enviroment. In particular, as I know that OpenNebula provides several
> interfaces to export cloud facilities and to perform remote action (e.g.,
> OCCI), it is not particularly clear how aspect ragardering virtual machines
> are handled, such as vm migration among sites or other.
>
> Thanks in advance for your reply(s)
>
> Giovanni
>

> --
> Ing. Giovanni Ponti, PhD
> UTICT-HPC
> ENEA - C.R. Portici
> P.le E. Fermi, 1 (Loc. Granatello)
> 80055 Portici (NA), Italy
> phone : (+39) 081-7723564 | int.: [89] 2564
> fax   : (+39) 081-7723344
> email : giovanni.ponti at enea.it
> web   : http://www.afs.enea.it/gponti

Ignacio M. Llorente, PhD, MBA