[one-users] bash scripts

christopher barry cbarry at rjmetrics.com
Fri Jan 18 07:56:09 PST 2013

Greetings,

I'm in the process of wrapping up some datastore driver modifications I
would like to push upstream, and I'm finding the style and methods used
in the current bash scripts a bit outdated (and inconsistent). I would
like to know what is the absolute oldest version of bash you are
supporting? There are backticks *and* process substitutions, which seems
a bit odd to me.

Only very old distributions are still stuck on the 3.x series of bash,
and frankly if they cannot upgrade the entire distro, let them install a
static bash 4.x.

There are many improvements that can be made to the scripts if we could
use some newer bash features. The aft sliding window edge of backward
compatibility needs to leave bash 3.x in the dust...

Any thoughts on that?

-C