[one-users] bash scripts

Javier Fontan jfontan at opennebula.org
Thu Jan 24 03:04:59 PST 2013

I've been checking the distros supported (and some others that are not
supported) have bash4. It is probably not needed to maintain
compatibility with older bash versions. Can you be more specific on
the advantages the new features in bash 4 will have for the scripts?

I also would want to know more about the quirkiness in our bash
scripts to fix that and maybe create a standards document so all the
scripts use the same constructs.

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 4:56 PM, christopher barry <cbarry at rjmetrics.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I'm in the process of wrapping up some datastore driver modifications I
> would like to push upstream, and I'm finding the style and methods used
> in the current bash scripts a bit outdated (and inconsistent). I would
> like to know what is the absolute oldest version of bash you are
> supporting? There are backticks *and* process substitutions, which seems
> a bit odd to me.
>
> Only very old distributions are still stuck on the 3.x series of bash,
> and frankly if they cannot upgrade the entire distro, let them install a
> static bash 4.x.
>
> There are many improvements that can be made to the scripts if we could
> use some newer bash features. The aft sliding window edge of backward
> compatibility needs to leave bash 3.x in the dust...
>
> Any thoughts on that?
>

> -C

Javier Fontán Muiños
www.OpenNebula.org | jfontan at opennebula.org | @OpenNebula