[one-users] Unable to clone virtual disk : A general system error occurred: Insufficient permission to access file

Ingo Stieglitz ingo.stieglitz at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 21:40:17 PDT 2012

Hello everybody,

I try to set up a test environment by following this guide:
http://cloudblab.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/opennebula-and-vmware-esxi5-0.pdf
So far everything is fine, but at page 19 I have a problem.
There is the instruction to convert a vmdk disk to a thin provisioned one
using this command:

*vmkfstools -username root -password redhat123 -server esxi01 -i
'[srvcloudonevar] /images/disk.vmdk' -d*
*thin '[srvcloudonevar] /images/disk1.vmdk'*

Of course I use my own password, own server (also tried IP) and own
datastore name for this. I also tried the user "oneadmin".
Nevertheless I keep getting the following error message:

*Unable to clone virtual disk : A general system error occurred:
Insufficient permission to access file*
*
*
First I thought there is a problem with the nfs export, but my /etc/exports
file looks like in the documentation:

*/srv/cloud/one/var
10.11.12.0/24(rw,sync,no_subtree_check,all_squash,anonuid=10000,anongid=10000)
*

Does anybody have an idea what I did wrong?

By the way, my set up: 1 ESXi 5 host as worker node, one Ubuntu Server
11.10 as virtual machine on this ESXI host as ONE Frontend.

Thanks for your help.

Regards, Ingo