[one-users] Issues starting a VM

Ruben S. Montero rsmontero at opennebula.org
Wed Nov 28 09:31:06 PST 2012

> Okay, could the fact that it's looking for kvm_{intel,amd} be the
> problem?  The specific machine I'm testing this on doesn't support VTx —
> I just want to use plain QEMU which works.

Yes that is the problem, in your case you may want to try to pass the
hypervisor to the network drivers so they can get the networking
interfaces of the VM.

> In the end I managed to dupe OpenNebula/libvirt into starting up KVM by
> making a wrapper /usr/bin/kvm that looked for -enable-kvm and took it
> out of the command line arguments.

OK

> Your explanation as to the networking now makes a lot more sense though.
>
> By the sounds of things, it will be better to let it configure the VLANs
> itself in the long term, as hand-configuring the VLANs in
> /etc/network/interfaces was time consuming to say the least! :-)

Perfect

> On a similar vein, I can get the VM to start up, but it doesn't seem to
> like booting off the disk image I gave it.  The image I supplied was a
> VMWare .vmdk produced using QEMU/KVM.
>
> I simply copied it to a directory on the OpenNebula host, then used the
> Add Image utility in Sunstone, passing in the path to the image thinking
> it'd detect that it was a VMDK and convert accordingly.  It seems to
> have copied it to a file in its data store.
> Is there a particular format the data store uses (qcow2, raw)?

The Datastore do not make any modification to the image, if you want
to use qemu, you should do a "qemu-img convert" on it before
registering it. The fs Datastore can handle both formats, there is a
special transfer mechanism (TM) for qcow images that takes advantage
of the cow features.

Cheers

Ruben

--