[one-users] Issues starting a VM

Stuart Longland stuartl at vrt.com.au
Tue Nov 27 17:15:37 PST 2012

Hi Ruben, replying inline
On 27/11/12 22:42, Ruben S. Montero wrote:
> Hi
>
> It seems that you have already created the VLANs, so you do not need
> OpenNebula to do this for you. In your case you can just add the host
> and use --net dummy. The 802.1Q drivers would create eth0.160 and a
> bridge for it.

Ahh okay, so the 802.1Q mode is for OpenNebula to configure the trunk
port.  Right.

I did try reading through the documentation but got confused at many steps.

> Now your problem, I think that OpenNebula is not able to detect your
> hypervisor, probably because in yout system lsmod is not
> in "/sbin/lsmod". Could you check that, and set it to the proper path in
> OpenNebulaNetwork.rb that should be in /var/lib/one/remotes/vnm. (In
> multi-node installations you would need onehost sync to propagate the
> changes).

Okay, could the fact that it's looking for kvm_{intel,amd} be the
problem?  The specific machine I'm testing this on doesn't support VTx —
I just want to use plain QEMU which works.

In the end I managed to dupe OpenNebula/libvirt into starting up KVM by
making a wrapper /usr/bin/kvm that looked for -enable-kvm and took it
out of the command line arguments.

Your explanation as to the networking now makes a lot more sense though.

By the sounds of things, it will be better to let it configure the VLANs
itself in the long term, as hand-configuring the VLANs in
/etc/network/interfaces was time consuming to say the least! :-)

On a similar vein, I can get the VM to start up, but it doesn't seem to
like booting off the disk image I gave it.  The image I supplied was a
VMWare .vmdk produced using QEMU/KVM.

I simply copied it to a directory on the OpenNebula host, then used the
Add Image utility in Sunstone, passing in the path to the image thinking
it'd detect that it was a VMDK and convert accordingly.  It seems to
have copied it to a file in its data store.

Is there a particular format the data store uses (qcow2, raw)?
--
##   -,-''''-. ###### Stuart Longland, Software Engineer
##.  :  ##   :   ##   38b Douglas Street   -+*WE HAVE*+-