[one-users] Monitoring of cloud management events?

Giovanni Toraldo me at gionn.net
Thu Nov 1 03:56:03 PDT 2012

Hi Frank,

2012/11/1 Frank Doelitzscher <doelitz at hs-furtwangen.de>:
> I was looking for some possibilities to collect and monitor cloud
> management system (CMS) activities, such as:

OpenNebula includes an accounting tool that track on DB the resources
usage by every single VM during time. This data should be sufficient
to implement your requirements.
(http://opennebula.org/documentation:rel3.8:accounting)

> I also looked into OpenNebula's ganglia integration, but this seems more
> like a VM health monitoring system to me?

Ganglia is a well-know health monitoring tool for datacenters, you can
use it to make sure that your hardware is keeping well.

You can use Ganglia monitoring features with your OpenNebula
infrastructure without any particular software requirement.

Instead, the OpenNebula integration witn Ganglia as explained here
http://opennebula.org/documentation:rel3.8:ganglia is to take
advantage of Ganglia to transport monitoring metrics instead of using
the native OpenNebula IM drivers. In other words, you may need to use
that specific integration to increase the scalability of your
infrastructure (it will use Ganglia agents on nodes instead of ON
frontend's active checks).

> Does anybody already monitor such events and maybe even visualize them?

In any case, you can write your own data collecting daemon using the
XML-RPC OpenNebula API (Ruby and Java clients are available):

http://opennebula.org/documentation:rel3.8:ruby
http://opennebula.org/documentation:rel3.8:java

--
Giovanni Toraldo