[one-users] OpenNebula Appliances available for download

Shantanu Pavgi pavgi at uab.edu
Wed May 16 09:26:14 PDT 2012

On May 16, 2012, at 5:53 AM, Daniel Molina wrote:

Hi Owen,

On 14 May 2012 13:03, Owen Synge <owen.synge at desy.de<mailto:owen.synge at desy.de>> wrote:
Dear all,

What is a market place? Why does Open Nebular need one? Why should it be
cloud specific?

As I under stand it a "Market place" is following Apples success a poor copy
of debian's "apt repository" has been re branded and emasculated. Unlike
"apt", and its rpm clone "yum" the feature to deploy a repository on any old
web server have been removed in a market place.

Rather than having a layered architecture with a set of user interfaces,
apt, aptitude, kpackage and synaptic around "apt", market places typically
suffer from just one or some times two interfaces.

One of the sad things about computer concepts is that products promoting
lock in get seen my marketeers as a good idea.

So why does Open Nebular need a market place, and not adopt a simpler "apt"
approach?

I am bias, here is my "apt" replacement for a market place that will work
with open nebular and stratuslab, as I don’t believe in lock in.

https://github.com/hepix-virtualisation/

Its like "apt" and "yum" and only requires a web server to host the images
and metadata, unlike what I have seen of "market place" servers.

Community users have requested several times for pre-configured images
ready to run in OpenNebula environments, so we decided to provide
these images in the following link [1].

Since this solution is a bit limited, we decided to develop a service
where we can include metadata of these images and provide OpenNebula
users the possibility of sharing pointers of their own images. Just to
clarify, this service will not host the images but pointers to them
and metadata.

Currently we are evaluating different technologies for this service
and we will take into account the solution you provide [2]. Thanks for
the feedback

Cheers

[1] http://www.opennebula.org/software:appliances
[2] https://github.com/hepix-virtualisation/