[one-users] OpenNebula Appliances available for download

Daniel Molina dmolina at opennebula.org
Wed May 16 03:53:53 PDT 2012

Hi Owen,

On 14 May 2012 13:03, Owen Synge <owen.synge at desy.de> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> What is a market place? Why does Open Nebular need one? Why should it be
> cloud specific?
>
> As I under stand it a "Market place" is following Apples success a poor copy
> of debian's "apt repository" has been re branded and emasculated. Unlike
> "apt", and its rpm clone "yum" the feature to deploy a repository on any old
> web server have been removed in a market place.
>
> Rather than having a layered architecture with a set of user interfaces,
> apt, aptitude, kpackage and synaptic around "apt", market places typically
> suffer from just one or some times two interfaces.
>
> One of the sad things about computer concepts is that products promoting
> lock in get seen my marketeers as a good idea.
>
> So why does Open Nebular need a market place, and not adopt a simpler "apt"
> approach?
>
> I am bias, here is my "apt" replacement for a market place that will work
> with open nebular and stratuslab, as I don’t believe in lock in.
>
> https://github.com/hepix-virtualisation/
>
> Its like "apt" and "yum" and only requires a web server to host the images
> and metadata, unlike what I have seen of "market place" servers.

Community users have requested several times for pre-configured images
ready to run in OpenNebula environments, so we decided to provide
these images in the following link [1].

Since this solution is a bit limited, we decided to develop a service
where we can include metadata of these images and provide OpenNebula
users the possibility of sharing pointers of their own images. Just to
clarify, this service will not host the images but pointers to them
and metadata.

Currently we are evaluating different technologies for this service
and we will take into account the solution you provide [2]. Thanks for
the feedback

Cheers

[1] http://www.opennebula.org/software:appliances
[2] https://github.com/hepix-virtualisation/

> Regards
>
> Owen Synge
>

> On 05/14/2012 12:17 PM, Daniel Molina wrote:
>>
>> Hi Carlo,
>>
>> The OpenNebula Marketplace will provide OpenNebula users the
>> possibility of sharing and running Virtual Machine images with
>> OpenNebula. Users will be able to upload their images or retrieve
>> existing preconfigured images from the community catalog.
>>
>> More information coming in a few weeks
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> On 11 May 2012 16:22, Carlo Daffara<cdaffara at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> That's great! We would love to submit some of the images we use to
>>> jumpstart installation (mainly CentOS, some Opensuse). Is there any
>>> idea of how the marketplace
>>> will work/will be like?
>>> Carlo Daffara
>>> CloudWeavers