[one-users] [openSUSE + OpenNebula 3.2.0 + KVM. How to obtain an .img file?]

Robert Schweikert rjschwei at suse.com
Thu Mar 15 06:57:56 PDT 2012

On 03/15/2012 09:29 AM, biro lehel wrote:
> Hello Robert,
>
> Thank you for taking the time to answer. I'm currently checking the KIWI
> guide you provided. I've looked through it briefly, and my only question
> is the following: I already have my head-node (front-end) and the
> cloud-node (worker-node) set up and configured, and I was able to manage
> (get running, through ONE) the provided ttylinux template from the ONE
> website. Currently, I am only interested in having a running
> SUSE-image-based VM instead of this ttylinux VM.
>
> So, does this mean that I should be concerned only with the parts
> related to the guest-node from the KIWI documentation?

Yes.

> What exactly is
> the scope of the parts related to the head-node and the cloud-node (why
> would I need such images)?

The cloud-node image is useful to allow you to set up a new cloud node
in short order, 5 minutes or less. If you just run your own small cloud
and you do not plan on adding another cloud node then building an image
is overkill.

Having the images also has the advantage that they encapsulate the
knowledge of how to set up and configure a node (head or cloud). Once
you have an image and the need for a new node arises you can just
install the image and do not have to go through the whole configuration
process again.

> Also, does KIWI needs to be installed on both
> the front-end and cloud(worker)-node, or all the commands are done from
> the latter?

KIWI does not need to be installed on the cloud machines at all. KIWI
just needs to be installed on some machine that can function as your
image build machine.

HTH,
Robert

Tech Lead