[one-users] [openSUSE + OpenNebula 3.2.0 + KVM. How to obtain an .img file?]

Robert Schweikert rjschwei at suse.com
Wed Mar 14 06:11:55 PDT 2012

On 03/14/2012 07:21 AM, biro lehel wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Regarding my last issue here, the problem with the VNC connection
> initialization through Sunstone was indeed the presence of the line
> ['TIGHT_PNG', -260 ],
> in rfb.js. Uncommenting it solved the problem; thank you Carlo and
> Hector for you prompt feedbacks.
>
> So, at my current progress, I managed to create VM's from the provided
> ttylinux image without problems, VNC is also working, I could ssh and
> ping in all the possible directions, and, to gain some experience, I
> even fooled around a bit with some template attributes to see their
> effect. So, i guess that "so far, so good".
> Now, my next step would be to do the same thing with VM's created from
> an openSUSE image. In order to do this, I would need a raw openSUSE .img
> file (just like I had ttylinux.img), but, lacking any experience in the
> domain, I'm a little bit helpless regarding the exact way of obtaining
> such an .img file for my distribution. I have checked some online
> documentation, but none of it really helped. So, my question is, what is
> the correct and best way to obtain such a SUSE image, or are there any
> ways to get it from somewhere? Just for the record (as stated in the
> subject), I'm using KVM as hypervisor.

You can build your SUSE image using SUSE Studio at susestudio.com. There
is also an example for using KIWI.

http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:KIWI_Cookbook_ONebula_Cloud

Or you can run a manual install process.

1.) Create the disk image file
qemu-img create -f qcow2 openSUSE.img 20G
(replace 20G with the size you want)

2.) qemu-kvm openSUSE.img -cdrom PATH_TO_OPENSUSE_ISO_FILE -boot d
now run through the regular openSUSE install process

3.) Register the image with openNebula

> Also, for anyone having experience with SUSE + ONE + KVM (I've seen that
> are a few of you here): could you provide me an example template for
> your configuration, that I could use a starting point for my
> configuration? It would really be a great help.

Check the KIWI example.

HTH,
Robert

Tech Lead