[one-users] Creating a basic vm image

Snyman, Adrian adrians at uj.ac.za
Mon Mar 5 05:32:34 PST 2012

Okay, I have been getting somewhere with this ...
The commandline I used to create a vm is as follows:

#> virt-install -n VM1 -r 1024 -f /var/lib/one/images/centos-6.2/disk.0 -s 20 --vcpus=2 --os-type linux --os-variant=rhel6 --network bridge=virbr0 --nographics --hvm --location=/var/lib/one/cd_images/CentOS-6.2-x86_64-bin-DVD1.iso --extra-args "console=ttyS0"

So this gets me into the installer - great :)

However, I have 2 problems.

1)      The text based install does not give you the option of modifying the disk layout - apparently this is a bug (or feature) in centos.

2)      I get the following error now on install:

Unable to read package metadata. This may be due to a   │
          │ missing repodata directory.  Please ensure that your    │
          │ install tree has been correctly generated.              │
          │                                                         │
          │ Could not retrieve                                      │
          │ /mnt/sysimage/var/cache/yum/anaconda-CentOS-20111210233 │
          │ 3.x86_64/eba624e5fe8db1b4ebe2e0b0ac66565be3c909c34c46d4 │
          │ 685f50bbe921763d3b-primary.sqlite.bz2 matching remote   │
          │ checksum from anaconda-CentOS-201112102333.x86_64

So I am now trying to figure out *why* it does this. Unfortunately you cannot use the console without specifying the iso as a location instead of a cdrom .. :(

Regards,
Adrian Snyman
Linux Systems Administrator
Tel: 011-559-4929