[one-users] network boot with xen

Vivien Bernet-Rollande vivien.bernet-rollande at nexen.alterway.fr
Fri May 20 01:11:22 PDT 2011

On 19/05/2011 16:02, Michaël Van de Borne wrote:
> Can anyone tell me how to get a DHCP request sent from the booting VM?

Hi.

The short answer is "you can't simply do that out of the Box".

The long answer is "you can make it happen if you dig in".

I know a bit about how things work on the Xen side. Not quite sure about
how it integrates with Open Nebula though. A good starting point is this
: http://zhigang.org/files/docbook/xen-pxeboot.html

Basically, if you're using Xen for HVM, you may use a boot="n"
parameter, to tell qemu-dm to perform a PXE boot. I suppose you would
specify this as a RAW parameter in the VM template.

If you're using PV, things are slightly more complex. First you need to
get pypxeboot (http://grid.ie/pypxeboot/), which is a pxe bootloader for
xen. Then you need your VM to use that bootloader. Your domain config
should contain something like :

bootloader="/usr/bin/pypxeboot"
vif=['mac=AA:00:86:e2:35:72']
bootargs=vif[0]

I'm guessing you could pass something like :
OS = [BOOTLOADER = /usr/bin/pypxeboot]
RAW = [bootarg = 'mac=AA:00:86:e2:35:72' ]

And it should work. Pure speculation though, I haven't tested it.

The even longer answer is a question : "Do you really need this ?". I'm
not sure what you're trying to do, but it can probably be done using
template images, contextualisation and maybe a bit of scripting.
Virtualization is a powerful tool, offering new posibilities, and it's
worth thinking if we really need to carry those old PXE concepts into IaaS.

--
Vivien Bernet-Rollande
Systems&  Networking Engineer