[one-users] network boot with xen

Michaël Van de Borne michael.vandeborne at cetic.be
Thu May 19 07:02:29 PDT 2011

Hi again,

still about the network boot:
Correct me if I'm wring but the first thing to do when booting from the
network is to send a DHCP request (to get an IP and the address of the
TFTP server), right?

Unfortunately, using tcpdump, I cannot see any DHCP request getting out
from my machine (either from the virtual NIC virbr0, nor from the
physical eth0).

Here is the tcpdump command I use:
sudo tcpdump -i virbr0 -n port 67 and port 68
or
sudo tcpdump -i eth0 -n port 67 and port 68

Here is the very basic VM template I use:
CPU=0.5
NAME=centos-ks
DISK=[
   SOURCE="/srv/cloud/one/var/centos-ks/centos-ks.img",
   READONLY=no,
   TARGET=hda ]
FEATURES=[  ACPI=no ]
MEMORY=300
NIC=[ MAC    = "50:20:20:20:20:20",
         BRIDGE = virbr0 ]
OS=[  BOOT=network ]

Can anyone tell me how to get a DHCP request sent from the booting VM?

PS: the disk is empty cause I'd like to kickstart the VM from scratch at
bootup, I don't know if it matters)

cheers,

michaël

Michaël Van de Borne
R&D Engineer, SOA team, CETIC
Phone: +32 (0)71 49 07 45 Mobile: +32 (0)472 69 57 16, Skype: mikemowgli
www.cetic.be, rue des Frères Wright, 29/3, B-6041 Charleroi
--
Jeudi 26 mai 2011 à 16h, ne manquez pas l'événement
des 10 ans du CETIC: "Des entreprises plus compétitives