[one-users] ebtables hook [CLOSED]

Jaime Melis jmelis at opennebula.org
Thu May 5 14:00:00 PDT 2011

Hello Frédéric,

apologies for taking so long to get around this. You're right, the script is
broken: we have submitted a bug [1] and a patch [2] for the one-2.2 branch.

[1] http://dev.opennebula.org/issues/617
[2]
http://dev.opennebula.org/projects/opennebula/repository/revisions/0e88d4248ac55aaba2cefcec8e28bb808b9b8a1c

Regarding your concern about the ebtables hook, you're also right, it is
limited to class C networks and fixed subnets, although it's extensively
used in other cloud softwares (for example in libvirt) since it doesn't
require any special network hardware and it's easy to configure. However
we're currently working on improving the network management in OpenNebula.

Regards,
Jaime

2011/4/28 Frédéric Dreier <frederic.dreier at gmail.com>

> Oh ok... I understand the purpose of this hook now (and how it abuses mac
> addresses mask).
>
> I find this solution a little bit dirty and limited (fixed subnets, need
> different IP range for each virtual network, etc). Therefore I will continue
> to setup a bridge for each vnet.
>
> However the script seems broken.
>
> Regards
>
> Frederic
>

> Le 28 avril 2011 09:26, Frédéric Dreier <frederic.dreier at gmail.com> a
> écrit :
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have some problems using ebtables-kvm hooks script.
>>
>> I use the one saved in the GIT (the one from the documentation seems
>> deprecated).
>>
>> get_interfaces return this hash table:
>>
>>  >> {"br-vnets"=>["vnet1", "vnet2", "vnet3", "vnet4"],
>> "br-test"=>["vnet0"], "virbr0"=>[nil]}"
>>
>> therefor the following 'if' statement failed for tap="vnet1" (which is my
>> VM's interface):

>> Thanks for your help,
>>
>> Frederic

Jaime Melis, Cloud Technology Engineer/Researcher
Major Contributor
www.OpenNebula.org | jmelis at opennebula.org