[one-users] Getting closer

Robert Schweikert rschweikert at novell.com
Mon Jun 13 11:24:14 PDT 2011

Hi,

Thanks for all the help so far, getting closer to getting things
working. I have now managed to setup a head node with oned running and a
cloud node to dispatch VMs. Both built as appliances and the cloud node
registers itself with the head node. Write up on this will follow on
openSUSE as soon as I can actually get a guest to run.

I have created a qcow2 format image that I can start manually on the
cloud node as follows:

# kvm filename.qcow2 -vnc 192.168.1.5:6

 From another machine that runs X I can then use

-> vncviewer 192.168.1.5:6

and access the running VM.

However, the OpenNebula VM created from the same image results in the
following error:

"""
Starting SeaBIOS (version 0.5.1-......)

gPXE (http:......) .......

Booting from Hard Disk....
Boot failed: not a bootable disk

No bottable device
"""

The description of the VM is as follows:

NAME   = suse-test
MEMORY = 512
CPU    = 1

OS     = [ ARCH = x86_64,
            BOOT = hd,
            ROOT = sda1 ]

DISK   = [ IMAGE_ID  = 1 ]

NIC    = [ MAC = "00:16:3e:7e:18:26",
            BRIDGE = br0 ]

GRAPHICS = [ TYPE   = "vnc",
              LISTEN = "0.0.0.0",
              PORT   = "5905" ]

I take it the failure has something to do with the virtual disk layout.
When I loop mount the .raw disk image that was used to generate the
qcow2 image

# losetup /dev/loop0  filename.raw
# kpartx  -a /dev/loop0

I can verify that the disk has only 1 partition (expected to show up as
/dev/sda1) in the VM. I can also verify this in the VM I started with
kvm directly.

The created image has an MBR that contains GRUB.

How do I get this image to run on OpenNebula?

Let me know if I missed any important information needed to help with
this issue.

Thanks,
Robert

Tech Lead