[one-users] VM stays in MIGRATE when trying to livemigrate it

Steffen Neumann sneumann at ipb-halle.de
Wed Aug 31 13:28:31 PDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-08-31 at 21:40 +0200, Adnan Pasic wrote:

> However, now when I try to migrate or livemigrate any deployed VM,
> this VM stays in SAVE or MIGRATE respectfully. Nothing else happens.

For live-migration: Is the VM quite busy ?

During live-migrate the RAM is synch'ed over to the new node,
until nothing changes anymore. So if 1) your network is slow-ish
(say, 100Mbit) and/or 2) you have one or many processes running
within the VM which alter RAM, then the sync'ing can't keep up
with the changes, hence the migration never finished.

=> ssh into the VM, "kill -STOP pids" the most active processes.
You might observe that your cursor freezes for a second,
then that was the migration (optionally: verify RUNNING),
and "kill -CONT pids".

Of course, it could also be something else

Yours,
Steffen

--
IPB Halle                    AG Massenspektrometrie & Bioinformatik
Dr. Steffen Neumann          http://www.IPB-Halle.DE