[one-users] Why to use Opennebula?

Juan José Fuentes Juanjose.Fuentes at sigmaaie.org
Mon Aug 29 02:36:29 PDT 2011

Thank you Steffen for your answer.

As I said, the prime intention is to construct a private cloud to provide SaaS to our clients. C12G will be necessary if we carry on the project , but just in its final phase.

I thought using Opennebula I could, i.e. create a virtual machine that uses RAM from 2 physical hosts, but as far as I read that's not possible.

Of course, the first step will be to create the private cloud in a test environment and perform a lot of tests before provide the SaaS to our clients. But what I was wondering is what are the main features of Opennebula that will be helpful in that process. One of them could be the centralitation of the virtual machines management, but I think that could be achive also with other products like Xen, which I've never used just read some features...

 I mean that introducing Opennebula in our architecture involves complicate it, so it must offer some advantatges that make it worth, and are those advantages that I'm trying to find out.

In other words, what's the advantage of using Opennebula in a vmware or xen environment when these products have their own management consoles...? How could I justify to my boss the investment, in hours and support (c12g), to use Opennebula?

Surely I ask these questions because I'm not sure what is or what it involves having a private cloud...

Thank you,

Juan José Fuentes
Responsable de Sistemas
Telf +34 902 550 733