[one-users] Host information

Tino Vazquez tinova at fdi.ucm.es
Tue Jan 19 07:08:30 PST 2010

Hi Rangababu,

comments inline,

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 9:02 PM, Rangababu Chakravarthula
<rbabu at hexagrid.com> wrote:
> Thanks Tino for the information. What we have observed is when we have only
> one host and we submit a VM allocation request with memory value more than
> the value given under free but less than  value given under free with
> buffers/cache,  opennebula  is failing to provision the VM.
> 1) Is it expected behavior?

OpenNebula's scheduler looks at the maximum memory available in the
host and then subtracts  the memory consumed by the VMs present in the
host. If the memory requested by the VM is less than this value, the
VM is submitted (look at include/HostShare.h).

> Also in the VM information that is displayed in onevm list and onevm show:
> 2) The memory value that is displayed there, is it allocated memory or used
> memory?

Memory shown in onevm list is the used memory, and memory shown in
onevm show under Template is the allocated memory.

> There was an email  last week regarding opennebula displaying 0 value for
> CPU for which your team clarified that the reason for that is libvirt is not
> reporting CPU value for KVM hypervisor.
> 3) How do we get CPU usage and memory usage of VM?

onevm list

> 4) Is it possible only if we have snmp inside the VM and use some NMS tool
> to gather that?

See above

> 5) Since VM is a process in the underlying hypervisor, if we get cpu and
> memory usage of the vm process, is it a true representation of VM and CPU
> usage of VM?

This is true with KVM

> Thanks

Hope it helps,