[one-users] Is OpenNebula mult-threaded?

Javier Fontan jfontan at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 05:27:03 PST 2009

Hello,

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 9:54 PM, Shi Jin <jinzishuai at gmail.com> wrote:
> Recently I have started to explore the scalability of OpenNebula. One
> question is whether OpenNebula is a multi-threaded service. Since it
> currently only operates on a sqlite database, I guess it probably is
> not.  Am I correct here?

Both Core and Drivers are multithreaded and the database is only
accessed by the same daemon. Database locking is automatically done in
sqlite library (that is thread aware) so there are no problems of
concurrency. There is still another daemon that accesses directly the
database (the scheduler) but only to read, it will be eventually
changed so it will use xmlrpc API.

> Also, I asked this question before: is there any plan to work with
> MySQL or any other database? The answer I got was no. So I am
> wondering if this is something that can be obtained via a contract,
> probably together with the multi-threaded feature? However, I feel
> this is a crucial feature of OpenNebula and maybe it should be
> included in the open source project, perhaps in a longer perspective?

As we told you we do not have plans right now to support more
databases. We don't think that sqlite database is a scalability
problem. There are other parts that maybe can have more impact on
scalability and those will be addressed in future releases.

I can not answer you to the contracted work question.

Bye

--
Javier Fontan, Grid & Virtualization Technology Engineer/Researcher