[one-users] LVM Question

sebastien goasguen sebgoa at clemson.edu
Thu Nov 5 16:46:15 PST 2009

Hi Gavin,

If I may, here is my experience with LVM on opennebula:

1-it works
2-you need lvm on the hypervisors and a volume group defined on all nodes
3-you need a logical volume, either preexisting (that you will
snaphsot) or ready to receive the file system of your VMs
4-you need to enable the tm_lvm in your configuration, see oned.conf file
5-you need to setup your VM template to use LVM and point to the right
device to use.

In my case the disk in the template defintion looks like:
DISK = [
  type = "block",
  source   = "/dev/xen_vg/vm64slc5",
  target   = "xvda",
  readonly = "no" ]

where vm64slc5 is a logical volume in the xen_vg volume group

so far I am just doing LVM snapshots, but I am pretty sure it will
also work if you create a volume on the fly.

-sebastien