[one-users] ubuntu front end and openSUSE node

Ruben S. Montero rubensm at dacya.ucm.es
Thu Jun 11 13:10:08 PDT 2009

Hi,

The configuration you are using is totally supported in OpenNebula
1.2, In fact we are using KVM+Xen in our primary production cluster.
The configuration would be:

* Configure the Xen drivers (IM+VMM) in oned.conf. So both the Xen and
KVM drivers are loaded (check that in the first lines of oned.conf).

* When you add the Xen hosts make sure that you specify the
appropriate driver names

* You may need to specify some additional parameters for the Xen
templates. But this depends on your set up. If this is your case the
best solution to handle this is using the default values for each
hypervisor (etc/vmm_kvm/vmm_kvm.conf and etc/vmm_xen/vmm_xen.conf). In
this way you do not have to adjust every single template...

* Regarding your problem, it seems that the information the new Xen
hosts are not properly obtained. Or they do not have enough capacity
for the VMs. This may happen if Dom0 is taking all the avialable RAM
in a ballooning configuration . Could you check for any monitoring
errors in the oned.log, and with onehost list that the Xen nodes have
enough free memory...?

If you are doing tests, the best thing to force the deployment in a
Xen machine is either with

REQUIREMENTS= HOSTNAME=<host_with_xen>

or use the onevm deploy command

Cheers

Ruben

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 4:27 AM, Shi Jin<jinzishuai at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I am having a bit wierd situation. I have an existing cluster all running Ubuntu 9.04 with KVM as the hypervisor. It works fine. Now I have a new node, which is running openSUSE 11.1 with Xen as the hypersivor. I think OpenNebula supports both and the drivers can be loaded together. However, I am unable to get VMs running on the new OpenSUSE node.  The node is added without any problem. If I remove all other nodes, the newly created VM will always be in the "Pending" state.  I am wondering what could be wrong in my setup and how I can debug this. Right now, other than finding the pending state, the /var/log/one log files does not give me much information.
>
> Also, in the template file, do I need to specify whether I want the hypervisor to be KVM or Xen? How do I do that if I want to?
>
> Thank you very much.
> --
> Shi Jin, PhD

 Dr. Ruben Santiago Montero