[one-users] EC2 query API with ec2-api-tools etc

Blair Bethwaite blair.bethwaite at infotech.monash.edu.au
Thu Dec 3 18:10:15 PST 2009

Hi all,

I'm trying to get a Boto (http://code.google.com/p/boto/) client
application working with OpenNebula.

Boto is a Python library developed against the EC2 query API and also
works with Eucalyptus. Given the comment in the ONE release notes
(http://www.opennebula.org/doku.php?id=documentation:rn-rel1.4), "to
use the EC2 query service, you can potentially use any other EC2-Query
compatible tool or utility with minor modifications", I hoped there
would be little effort involved to get Boto and OpenNebula to play
together. Perhaps just some tweaking of the EC2Connection parameters.
But sadly I'm not having any luck...

I've got access to the 'real' test cloud (thanks Tino) and am trying
to use it via Boto like so:
------
from boto.ec2.regioninfo import RegionInfo
one_region = RegionInfo(name='one', endpoint='https://cloud.opennebula.org:443')
one_conn = boto.connect_ec2(aws_access_key_id='***',aws_secret_access_key='***',is_secure=True,region=one_region,path='/')
one_conn.get_all_instances()
------
I've tried different ports (e.g. 80) but typically get back an error
such as "gaierror: (-2, 'Name or service not known')". I've had a
little poke around in the server code to see whether I might need to
add something to the path option (e.g. with Eucalyptus this needs to
be "services/Eucalyptus") but haven't had much luck.

Any ideas?

Regards,
~Blair

--
In science one tries to tell people, in such a way
as to be understood by everyone, something that