[Interoperability] Status update OCCI and summary on SNIA Cloud Plugfest and OGF 32

Daniel Molina dmolina at opennebula.org
Mon Aug 22 09:05:48 PDT 2011

Hi,

On 22 August 2011 10:24, Ignacio M. Llorente <llorente at dacya.ucm.es> wrote:
> [...]
>> if available. The main page should be publicly accessible, but there
>> currently seems to be a problem with the page being protected, but I
>> already asked for a fix.
>
> I added this link to our WG page.
>

>> OGF 32
>> - Even so the participation was not optimal, OGF 32 was considered a
>> success by most people who attended. Regarding OCCI, we had a good
>> discussion on the integration of OCCI into the Simple API for Grid
>> Applications (SAGA).
>> - During a talk by Rick Clark on the status of OpenStack, we had an
>> interesting discussion on the need of open cloud standards. He also
>> mentioned the Open Cloud Initiative (http://www.opencloudinitiative.org/)
>> currently mainly driven by OpenStack, where a participation may be a good
>> idea.
>
> I was not aware of this new initiative. I do not clear see their positioning
> compared with DMTF, OGF or SNIA.
>

>> - OpenStack is currently revising their API architecture which will help
>> to bring an OCCI 1.1 implementation to OpenStack towards the end of this
>> year or beginning of next year.
>
> Sounds good, because I heard that they are developing their own API based on
> RackSpace Cloud API.
>

>> - Rick Clark was positively surprised about the new features of OpenNebula
>> 3.0 and said to be in or will come back to talks with Ignacio regarding a
>> closer cooperation between both projects.
>
> Yes, I know him since the early days of the cloud in 2008.
>

>> Status of OCCI:
>> - we are close to full OCCI 1.1 compliance, but we are still working on
>> parsing the requests. We will commit a larger change on handling OCCI
>> requests, which will incorporate a prototype implementation of a JSON
>> rendering
>> - the OCCI framework is working well together with OpenNebula 3.0 beta. We
>> still need to do lots of testing and iron out a few bugs
>> - we are working on modularizing the OCCI framework to make it more
>> reusable. We started writing an OCCI client using the same ruby classes as
>> the server and we would like to provide a ruby gem in the near future
>> allowing others to easily create or integrate OCCI clients in their
>> projects
>> - We are working hard on a well designed templating system and had a good
>> discussion on it during the last OCCI WG meeting. We like to finnish EC2
>> style creation of "small","medium","large" instances as well as OS
>> templates like "Ubuntu 11.04 64bit" for the next release of the OCCI
>> framework
>> - We have some students working on OCCI / CDMI integration and would like
>> to sync up with the OpenNebula developers on their views of managing
>> storage. The CDMI integration is currently being considered on two levels.
>> Once, we GET an Image from a CDMI server and store it in the OpenNebula
>> image repository. A tighter CDMI integration is being considered by using

This is a great news.
We are finishing the development of the new OpenNebula catalog
component. This component will interact with external repositories in
order to create new images in the OpenNebula repository. You can
follow up its development in the following link [1]. So as we talked
in the last IRC session, it would be nice to have a CDMI driver for
this component.

As Ignacio said, do not hesitate to send us any questions that you
have about this integration or any suggestions about the component.

BTW, there was a typo in the previous mail in my contact information:
Daniel (dmolina at opennebula.org)
instead of
Daniel (dmolona at opennebula.org)

>> - we would like to release a stable version of the OCCI framework soon
>> after the release of OpenNebula 3.0. Is there already a planned release
>> date?
>
> Excellent job, please contact Javier or Jaime to solve your questions in
> storage management. Third week of September is teh planned release date for
> ONE 3.0.
>

>> I will be on vacation starting this thursday for 2 weeks. After that I'd
>> be glad to participate in discussions on the future of open standards and
>> the further roadmap for OpenNebula/OCCI/CDMI/OVF.
>
> Well, hope you enjoyed.
> Cheers,
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Florian