[Interoperability] Status update OCCI and summary on SNIA Cloud Plugfest and OGF 32

Ignacio M. Llorente llorente at dacya.ucm.es
Mon Aug 22 01:24:28 PDT 2011

Dear Florian,

Thanks for the update and detailed summary of the SNIA Cloud Plugfest and
OGF32 (comments inline)

SNIA Cloud Plugfest (http://www.snia.org/cloud/cloudplugfest)
> - The Cloud Plugfest went well, even so the OCCI participation was not as
> good as I hoped for. We had some interesting discussions on JSON rendering
> for OCCI and on further integration of OCCI and CDMI.

This is very interesting, I think that work should focus on integrating CDMI
and OCCI.

> - CDMI is gaining momentum with several implementations showing up and it
> looks as if it would be very well suited to be used with OpenNebula. We
> have a few students working on combining OpenNebula with CDMI, but we
> would be glad to have a chat with the OpenNebula developers what their
> visions are in this area. We will probably be able to demonstrate a first
> prototype for CDMI integration in OpenNebula during the next Plugfest
> which will take place Sep 19 - Sep 22 in Santa Clara.

Excellent, please contact Javier (jfontan at opennebula.org) or Daniel (
dmolona at opennebula.org) to solve your questions or organize a conference
call. They are also in this mailing list.

> - We decided to have one of the next Cloud Plugfest in europe, probably
> during spring 2012. We still need to figure out the details during one of
> the next Plugfest coordination meetings, but I think this could be a great
> opportunity to get more people from europe involved.

Agreed, interoperability and portability are key issues, and we should go
beyond a specification to provide a working implementation.

> - On the other hand, remote participation is also received very well. A
> chatroom, mailinglist and wiki page have been set up and will be filled
> with more details in the future. In the Wiki
> (http://plugfest.sniacloud.com/wiki/index.php) we started collecting all
> information on existing OCCI + CDMI implementations and on test instance
> if available. The main page should be publicly accessible, but there
> currently seems to be a problem with the page being protected, but I
> already asked for a fix.

I added this link to our WG page.

> OGF 32
> - Even so the participation was not optimal, OGF 32 was considered a
> success by most people who attended. Regarding OCCI, we had a good
> discussion on the integration of OCCI into the Simple API for Grid
> Applications (SAGA).
> - During a talk by Rick Clark on the status of OpenStack, we had an
> interesting discussion on the need of open cloud standards. He also
> mentioned the Open Cloud Initiative (http://www.opencloudinitiative.org/)
> currently mainly driven by OpenStack, where a participation may be a good
> idea.

I was not aware of this new initiative. I do not clear see their positioning
compared with DMTF, OGF or SNIA.

> - OpenStack is currently revising their API architecture which will help
> to bring an OCCI 1.1 implementation to OpenStack towards the end of this
> year or beginning of next year.

Sounds good, because I heard that they are developing their own API based on
RackSpace Cloud API.

> - Rick Clark was positively surprised about the new features of OpenNebula
> 3.0 and said to be in or will come back to talks with Ignacio regarding a
> closer cooperation between both projects.

Yes, I know him since the early days of the cloud in 2008.

> Status of OCCI:
> - we are close to full OCCI 1.1 compliance, but we are still working on
> parsing the requests. We will commit a larger change on handling OCCI
> requests, which will incorporate a prototype implementation of a JSON
> rendering
> - the OCCI framework is working well together with OpenNebula 3.0 beta. We
> still need to do lots of testing and iron out a few bugs
> - we are working on modularizing the OCCI framework to make it more
> reusable. We started writing an OCCI client using the same ruby classes as
> the server and we would like to provide a ruby gem in the near future
> allowing others to easily create or integrate OCCI clients in their
> projects
> - We are working hard on a well designed templating system and had a good
> discussion on it during the last OCCI WG meeting. We like to finnish EC2
> style creation of "small","medium","large" instances as well as OS
> templates like "Ubuntu 11.04 64bit" for the next release of the OCCI
> framework
> - We have some students working on OCCI / CDMI integration and would like
> to sync up with the OpenNebula developers on their views of managing
> storage. The CDMI integration is currently being considered on two levels.
> Once, we GET an Image from a CDMI server and store it in the OpenNebula
> image repository. A tighter CDMI integration is being considered by using
> the CDMI export protocol feature
> (
> http://cdmi.sniacloud.com/CDMI_Spec/13-Exported_Protocols/13-Exported_Prot
> ocols.htm)
> - we would like to release a stable version of the OCCI framework soon
> after the release of OpenNebula 3.0. Is there already a planned release
> date?

Excellent job, please contact Javier or Jaime to solve your questions in
storage management. Third week of September is teh planned release date for
ONE 3.0.

> I will be on vacation starting this thursday for 2 weeks. After that I'd
> be glad to participate in discussions on the future of open standards and
> the further roadmap for OpenNebula/OCCI/CDMI/OVF.

Well, hope you enjoyed.

Cheers,

> Cheers,
> Florian

Ignacio M. Llorente, PhD, MBA
Full Professor (Catedratico) and Head of Research Group
Distributed Systems Architecture Research Group at UCM (DSA-Research.org)
blog.CloudPlan.org | imllorente.dsa-research.org | llorente at dacya.ucm.es