[one-users] BOOTPROTO, DHCP_HOSTNAME, and vm IPs in Sunstone

Stefan Kooman stefan at bit.nl
Thu Sep 11 23:17:11 PDT 2014

Quoting kerryhall . (kerryhall at gmail.com):
> It sounds like it's not really possible for a DHCP client to suggest an IP
> to the DHCP server.
>
> I think I would like to make a feature request: easy DHCP integration.
>
> Does my use case make sense? I can clarify further if needed.

Why do you want to manage IP's from the VM itself? If you want
predictable IP's for your VM's you can use static assignments in DHCP
servers. Just prefill an address range with MAC's for future VM's and
you're done. Just make sure that the VM gets the right IP in ONE (and
therefore the right MAC-address) and off you go. Together with MAC/ARP
spoofing protection [1] you can be assured that a VM is only able to use
the IP you've configured. Oh, and there already is an integration
possible, see [2]. If you really want to manage the DHCP server from the
VM itself there are more possibilities (discussed on this list some time
ago): [3], and [4,5] including examples.

Gr. Stefan

[1]:
http://docs.opennebula.org/4.8/administration/networking/openvswitch.html#openflow-rules
[2]: