[one-users] 2014 OpenNebula Cloud Architecture Survey Results

Tino Vazquez cvazquez at c12g.com
Mon Sep 8 08:15:59 PDT 2014

Dear OpenNebula users,

The results of this survey were collected during July and August of
2014 from the OpenNebula open source cloud management platform
community with regards to the type of cloud deployment and its main
architectural components. The aim of the survey is to acquire
information in order to improve the support for the most demanded
infrastructure platforms and deployments.

Since the foundation of the open-source project in November 2007,
OpenNebula has been downloaded more than 200,000 times from the
project site (120,000 times since our last survey in September 2012),
not including other software repositories or third-party
distributions.

Regarding the use of OpenNebula, the Survey shows that 42% of the
deployments are in Industry and 14% in Research Centers. 74% of the
organizations are in Europe, Russia or USA. 88% of the respondents use
OpenNebula to build a private cloud. When asked about the type of
workload, 62% said that they use OpenNebula for running production
workloads.

Regarding the size of the clouds, 10% of the deployments have more 500
physical nodes. 44% of the deployments consist of more than one
OpenNebula zone and 4% are running more than 10 zones. One of the
companies reported a workload of 200,000 VMs. Among the advanced
components offered by OpenNebula, High Availability, with 67%, is the
most widely used or planned to use, which is closely aligned with the
top usage of OpenNebula in production environments.

Regarding the building blocks of the cloud, KVM at 48% and VMware at
30% are the dominant hypervisors, and CentOS at 46% and Ubuntu at 36%
are the most widely used linux distributions for OpenNebula clouds.
The preferred choices for the storage back-ends are shared FS and SSH
with a 52% and 36% ratio respectively. The most widely used
Configuration Management Systems are Puppet and Ansible with a 37% and
14% respectively. Regarding networking, most of the deployments, a
49%, use the Standard Linux Bridge for network configuration, 38% use
Open vSwitch, and 30% use 802.1Q.

In comparison to the previous survey findings in 2012, the relevant
changes are that CentOS has displaced Ubuntu as the most widely linux
distribution to build OpenNebula clouds, and a growth in the number of
production deployments from 42% to 62% and in the number of public
clouds that has doubled from 21% to 40%.

Although more than 2,000 users took part of the survey, we have only
included in the analysis those respondents using OpenNebula 4.x
(latest series) and who we deem reliable because they have provided
identification details that allow us to verify the answers of the
survey. This is important given that our main aim is to have accurate
and useful information about OpenNebula deployments.

Last, but not least, when asked about what you like most about
OpenNebula, most users, a 76%, answered because of its simplicity, and
69% and 65% answered because of its flexibility and openness. These
results are aligned with our our mission — to become the simplest
cloud enabling platform — and our purpose — to bring simplicity to the
private and hybrid enterprise cloud. OpenNebula exists to help
companies build simple, cost-effective, reliable, open enterprise
clouds on existing IT infrastructure.

BIG THANKS to all the organizations that have contributed to the survey!

If you want to find more details about the survey (including graphical
representation of the data), please proceed to this blog post:

   http://opennebula.org/opennebula-cloud-architecture-survey-2014/

The OpenNebula Team

Constantino Vázquez Blanco, PhD, MSc
Senior Infrastructure Architect at C12G Labs
www.c12g.com | @C12G | es.linkedin.com/in/tinova

--
Confidentiality Warning: The information contained in this e-mail and
any accompanying documents, unless otherwise expressly indicated, is