[one-users] CoreOS on opennebula

Sander Klein roedie at roedie.nl
Wed Oct 22 07:56:51 PDT 2014

Hi All,

Well, I've got a CoreOS cluster up and running with some dirty tricks.

AFAICT CoreOS does not support the OpenNebula way of contextualizing the
image. But it might not be hard to implement. I read the CoreOS
OpenStack image mounts an ISO which they call config-drive and
configures the CoreOS machine with that. So, the same should be possible
with OpenNebula. CoreOS only needs to learn the OpenNebula way of doing
that.

I just created an empty disk image, attached it to a loop device,
modified the bare-metal installer script a bit to work with a loop
device. Then ran the script pointing to the loop device and my
cloud-config.yaml. Uploaded the image to OpenNebula and started it.

Currently I've got a cluster of 3 machines up and running. But the
problem is that I now need to create an image and separate config for
each CoreOS node I want to run. Which is unnecessary since OpenNebula
can provide the variables needed to only use 1 image with 1
cloud-config.yaml.

I'll have a look and see if it is easy to teach CoreOS to mount the iso
and get it's information from it.

Greets,

Sander