[one-users] Infiniband, nodes and VMs

Steven Timm timm at fnal.gov
Mon Oct 6 18:40:41 PDT 2014

We are running an Infiniband setup on FermiCloud using the SR-IOV feature
of our Mellanox clouds.  In the MPI jobs we have done we have used
IPoIB for communication.  For point to point communication between VM's
the bandwidth is similar to that between bare metal machines.
In a bigger cluster with small messages being passed there can
be some degradation but still it's decent performance.

As far as an image store accessible via infiniband we don't do
that currently, but it could be done for instance via an NFS data
store exported to your head node via ethernet and to your infiniband
nodes via IPOIB.

Steve