[one-users] ONE 4.8: Some OVS / cgroups / spice questions?

Jhon Masschelein jhon.masschelein at surfsara.nl
Thu Oct 2 22:48:50 PDT 2014

Hi Jaime,

Thanks for the detailed response.

For some reason I did not pick up on the one ovs per node…

This makes a couple of other things I was struggling make a lot more sense :)

Thanks again,

Jhon

On 2 okt. 2014, at 10:37, Jaime Melis <jmelis at opennebula.org<mailto:jmelis at opennebula.org>> wrote:

Hi Jhon,

> 1. Open VSwitch - bridge creation.

TL;DR: you just need one bridge per physical interface. OpenNebula will manage the vlan tagging automatically.

It works like the 'dummy' network system, not like the 802.1Q. In the dummy network drivers you typically have one bridge per physical interface, and simply attach the virtual nic to the bridge, thus enabling connectity through the physical intertaface.

When VLANs come into play, in 802.1Q we need one bridge per VLAN id, so OpenNebula creates those bridges. However this is not necessary for the OpenvSwitch drivers. We just have one bridge (manually created and attached to the physical interface) and the drivers only need that bridge. When the VM is instantiated it simply connects the virtual nic to the ovs switch and then tags each virtual nic, so we don't new bridges.