[one-users] Public & Private Network - HowTo

Jaime Melis jmelis at opennebula.org
Thu Oct 2 01:46:52 PDT 2014

Hi,

am I assuming correctly that eth0 is your private network and eth1 is your
public network?

So, your private network setup looks fine: create br0, attach eth0, create
new virtual network that reference BRIDGE=br0 and add IPs that are
reachable from wherever you want.

The public network in your case looks more problematic since you're using
DHCP. There is no out-of-the-box way to make interfaces in OpenNebula's VMs
using DHCP, you need to work a bit for that.

I guess you have two options (they both require that you do something
similar with the interfaces as you did with the private network: br1 ->
attach br1):
- stop using DHCP, ask what block of IPs you can use that will not be
assigned by a DHCP
- Or continue using DHCP in which case you will need to connect eth1 to
br1, leaving eth1 with BOOTPROTO=none and br1 with BOOTPROTO=dhcp. Inside
the VMs you will need to run dhcp on your public network interface, which
is something that OPenNebula will not do automatically. You can do that
either manually or writing a small shell script (init.sh) and executing
that [1]. Note that the IPs that OpenNebula will report will *not* match
the real public IPs inside the VMs, therefore it's a bit of a lacking
solution.

[1]
http://docs.opennebula.org/4.8/user/virtual_machine_setup/cong.html#generic-contextualization

cheers,
Jaime

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 3:00 AM, christian xavier <ccxxvr at gmail.com> wrote:

> Good Day,
>
> New here, have installed OpenNebulla 4.8, bit confused on the Public and
> Private Network
>
> I have currently :
>
> DEVICE=eth0
> BOOTPROTO=none
> NM_CONTROLLED=no
> ONBOOT=yes
> TYPE=Ethernet
> BRIDGE=br0
>
> DEVICE=br0
> TYPE=Bridge
> #HWADDR="D4:AE:52:CF:EA:01"
> IPADDR=62.210.82.35
> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> ONBOOT=yes
> BOOTPROTO=static
> NM_CONTROLLED=no
>
> eth1
> DEVICE="eth1"
> BOOTPROTO="dhcp"
> DHCP_HOSTNAME="sd-648257"
> HWADDR="D4:AE:52:CF:EA:01"
> NM_CONTROLLED="yes"
> ONBOOT="no"
> TYPE="Ethernet"
> UUID="dc642201-ef0b-42e6-975b-004ec6cc5d5b"
>
> I have a Block of /27 Public IP's  and I assigned few of these to Private
> Network. Or I am I oing it wrong to assign few IP's from Public IP and
> attached it to br0.
>
> I created VNET private with br0 and deployed two VM's I can launch them
> through VNC. I understand this becomes private?
>
> For Public Network: Do I need to create another Bridge from eth1 as eth2,
> but my eth1 is DHCP , how do i make Public Network?
>
> Sorry, If this might have answered earlier. Please help this Student
> here.....
>

> Thanks in Advance
>
> Cx

Jaime Melis