[one-users] move VM to different host

Ruben S. Montero rsmontero at opennebula.org
Wed Nov 19 01:25:34 PST 2014

If you are using 4.10, we do support migrations when a VM is in unknown
(i.e. hypervisor is down) provided there is a shared storage. Next release
(4.12) will include the ability to migrate in poweroff.

Meanwhile a work around, (there are two actually fake a hypervisor failure
to get the VM in unknown and use the previous feature or fake a migration
failure).

I've not tested this myself so watch out:

1.- Update the kvm migrate script by adding at the very beginning something
like:

sleep 600
return

We want to get the VM in MIGRATE state for a while

2.- Manually move the VM: Go to the hypervisor, and shut it down (i.e.
virsh...); move the config files (those in ssh system datastore); got to
the other hypervisor and manually create the VM.

3.- use onevm recover <vmid> success, the VM should become running in the
new host. (The sleep'ed migrate operation should be ignored as the VM would
be RUNNING)

4.- Undo the changes in the migrate script.

Good Luck