[one-users] Attaching big immutable disks to virtual machines

Ruben S. Montero rsmontero at opennebula.org
Mon Mar 31 03:09:33 PDT 2014

Hi

On a second thought, the low level operations for an image are controlled
by SAVE (will be copied back to the image repo) and CLONE (will be copied
vs linked).

We could deal with this volumes as if they were CDROMs, i.e. READONLY=YES,
CLONE=NO, SAVE=NO. The disk images will be linked and mounted by multiple
VMs at the same time in a ro mode, so no need to have a virtual SAN
underneath .

Would that make sense? I'll fill an issue for this if so...

Cheers

Ruben

On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 9:07 PM, Shankhadeep Shome <shank15217 at gmail.com>wrote:

> A virtual glusterfs cluster works well for us, at a minimum you need 2
> nodes, We use a couple of open nebula managed vms to host that and point
> other vms that need to access shared data to it.
>

> On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 9:23 AM, Valerio Schiavoni <
> valerio.schiavoni at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> we have the following use-case for our ON deployment.
>> Some of our users need to run lightweight VMs (a very simple
>> ubuntu-server with few basic tools).
>> These users share  some immutable data, which they used to access via a
>> shared server.
>> The size of such data is pretty big (few hundreds of gigabytes) and their
>> content is immutable.
>>
>> What is the best approach to let their VMs see those big datas ?
>>
>> We use OpenNebula 4.4.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Valerio

Ruben S. Montero, PhD