[one-users] VM running on multiple hosts

Steven Timm timm at fnal.gov
Thu Jun 26 07:42:08 PDT 2014

We have also seen this behavior in OpenNebula 3.2.
It appears that the failure mode occurs because the onevm delete
(or shutdown or migrate)
doesn't correctly verify that the virtual machine has gone away.
It sends the acpi terminate signal to the virtual machine
but if that fails, the VM will keep running.  There is no
signal sent to libvirt to kill the machine regardless.
OpenNebula
deletes the disk.0 from underneath it but that doesn't stop
the vm from running, it stays running on the deleted file handle.

On the plus side, I once was able to recover the full disk image
of a VM that shouldn't have been deleted, that way, by going
to the /proc file system and dd'ing from the still-open file
handle of the process.

We've written a set of utilities to check the consistency
of the leases database with what is actually running on the cloud,
and alert us if there are any differences.

Steve Timm