[one-users] Help with ESX UUIDs with OpenNebula

Brad tsbrs at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 25 11:10:13 PDT 2014

Hi,

I just started using OpenNebula and was following the quickstart guide
when I hit a snag. When I run onedatastore show <ID>, I see under
DATASTORE CAPACITY that TOTAL/FREE/USED are all 0M. I then executed
/var/lib/one/remotes/datastore/vmfs/monitor with the arguments found in
/var/log/one/oned.log after breaking the monitor script; I then executed it with bash -x. I saw the problem immediately:

USED_MB=$(du -sLm /vmfs/volumes/1 2>/dev/null | cut -f1)
DF_STR=$(df -m | grep /vmfs/volumes/1 | sed -e '\''s/ \+/:/g'\'')

These are failing because the ESX host is mounting NFS using the uuid that's
generated from the signature. I tried searching the list, but I'm not
sure how others are dealing with this. I notice the documentation says that it needs to be mounted with
the datastore ID only; e.g. /vmfs/volumes/0 and /vmfs/volumes/1,
however, I've found no way to get the ESX host to actually do this. As
I'm working with an existing (large-ish) cluster, I'd also like to avoid screwing anything up for others, so any suggestions will be
appreciated.

Right now I'm working on getting it to be this instead:
DF_STR=$(df -m | grep `ls -al /vmfs/volumes/ | grep " 1 -> " | awk '{print $11}'`| sed -e '\''s/ \+/:/g'\'')

This seems ham fisted to me, and I'm hoping there's some option in VMware/OpenNebula I'm missing somewhere.

If this is a version issue, I think I'll be moving from the 4.x to 5.x on all of my ESX hosts at some point next week.

Thanks!
Brad